Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 07:20:27PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > BTW, someone (Western Digital?) is now offering SATA drives that carry
> > > the same MTBF/warranty/what-not as their SCSI drives. I can't remember
> > > if they actually claim that it's the same mechanisms just with a
> > > different controller on the drive...
> >
> > Well western digital and Seagate both carry 5 year warranties. Seagate I
> > believe does on almost all of there products. WD you have to pick the
> > right drive.
>
> That's nice, but it seems similar to my Toshiba laptop drive experience
> --- it breaks, we replace it.  I would rather not have to replace it.  :-)
>
> Let me mention the only drive that has ever failed without warning was a
> SCSI Deskstar (deathstar) drive, which was a hybrid because it was a
> SCSI drive, but made for consumer use.

My damn powerbook drive recently failed with very little warning, other
than I did notice that disk activity seemed to be getting a bit slower.
IIRC it didn't log any errors or anything. Even if it did, if the OS was
catching them I'd hope it would pop up a warning or something. But from
what I've heard, some drives now-a-days will silently remap dead sectors
without telling the OS anything, which is great until you've used up all
of the spare sectors and there's nowhere to remap to. :(

Hmm... I should figure out how to have OS X email me daily log updates
like FreeBSD does...

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid