Multi-column index not used, new flipped column index is

От
Тема Multi-column index not used, new flipped column index is
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi,

I'm using PG 8.0.3 and recently spotted a query that was not using a multi-column index I had created.
The index looks like:
 CREATE INDEX ..... ON FooTable(fkColumnOne, fkColumnTwo);

The query that was not using the index was using:
 SELECT .... a bunch of columns and joins .... WHERE FooTable.fkColumnTwo=1000;

So I added another index where the indexed columns are flipped:
 CREATE INDEX ..... ON FooTable(fkColumnTwo, fkColumnOne);
Now the query started to use that index -- gooooood!
But now I have 2 indices that are nearly the same, and that means overhead during INSERTs/DELETEs. :(

Is there a way to get this to use that first index, so I don't have to have this additional index?
If I had PG 8.1.3, would PG know how to use that first index?  I seem to recall something about this somewhere... but I
don'tsee it at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew .

Thanks,
Otis

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: