Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 01:15:25PM -0700, Tony Lausin wrote:
> My project is essentially a CMS, but there are features that are
> commonly found in social networking sites like MySpace and CampusHook.
> I prefer to call it a web-based BBS inspired by my Citadel days that
> borrows features from social networking sites and multi-user blog
> sites (think Slashdot, not LiveJournal or Blogger).

Cool. Bonus points if you figure out a way to allow people to bring
together blogs of friends that are on multiple sites with a seamless
interface.

> I don't anticipate the kind of usage that a site like MySpace gets;
> but should users really go for the social networking features, and
> start hammering away at profiles with comments and updates; I'd like
> to know that the database can survive.

If I had a dollar for everyone who started with MySQL because "it'll
only be a small site"...

> I read in a few places that vacuuming on a heavily hit site can be
> necessary several times a day; and so that has been my biggest concern
> with PostgreSQL. I haven't previously used autovacuum.

Autovacuum is your friend. I would suggest cutting all the threshold
values in half, though.

Сообщение: Re: psql is slow and it does not take much resources
Сообщение: Re: psql is slow and it does not take much resources