Re: Segfaults with 8.1.3 on amd64

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Segfaults with 8.1.3 on amd64
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 12:22:01PM +0100, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> Hi, our 8.1.3 system on quad Xeon has been happily chugging away for
> weeks with no stability problems until yesterday:
>
> /var/log/syslog:May  4 11:57:17 cayenne kernel: postmaster[19291]:
> segfault at 0000000000000000 rip 00002aaaab5e8c00 rsp 00007fffffffd418
> error 4

<snip>

> I don't know what the rip + rsp values represent, but is it interesting
> that they are identical in all three cases?

At a guess rip = return instruction pointer, rsp = return stack point.
The fact that they're all the same seems to rule out hardware.

> I'm using Debian sarge with the 8.1.3 debs from backports.org which I
> trust; I doubt running postmaster under gdb will be workable due to the
> performance penalty.

I didn't think attaching gds had much effect on performance, but you
may be right.

<snip other usual output on server crash>

> How can I enable coredumps or something similarly useful for debugging
> purposes?

Before starting the server, run "ulimit -S -c unlimited"

If done properly it should enable core dumps for the backend.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения