Re: Performance Issues on Opteron Dual Core

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Performance Issues on Opteron Dual Core
Дата
Re: Performance Issues on Opteron Dual Core
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:59:56PM +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Pgadmin can give misleading times for queries that return large result
> sets over a network, due to:
>
> 1/ It takes time to format the (large) result set for display.
> 2/ It has to count the time spent waiting for the (large) result set to
> travel across the network.
>
> You aren't running Pgadmin off the dev server are you? If not check your
> network link to dev and prod  - is one faster than the other? (etc).
>
> To eliminate Pgadmin and the network as factors try wrapping your query
> in a 'SELECT count(*) FROM (your query here) AS a', and see if it
> changes anything!

FWIW, I've found problems running PostgreSQL on Windows in a multi-CPU
environment on w2k3. It runs fine for some period, and then CPU and
throughput drop to zero. So far I've been unable to track down any more
information than that, other than the fact that I haven't been able to
reproduce this on any single-CPU machines.