Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs

От mark@mark.mielke.cc
Тема Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:42:31PM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 13:38, mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:33:38PM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > > Sad, cause the AMD is, on a price / performance scale, twice the
> > > processor for the same money as the Intel.
> > Maybe a year or two ago. Prices are all coming down. Intel more
> > than AMD.
> > AMD still seems better - but not X2, and it depends on the workload.
> > X2 sounds like biggotry against Intel... :-)
> Actually, that was from an article from this last month that compared
> the dual core intel to the amd.  for every dollar spent on the intel,
> you got about half the performance of the amd.  Not bigotry.  fact.
> But don't believe me or the other people who've seen the difference.  Go
> buy the Intel box.  No skin off my back.

AMD Opteron vs Intel Xeon is different than AMD X2 vs Pentium D.

For AMD X2 vs Pentium D - I have both - in similar price range, and
similar speed. I choose to use the AMD X2 as my server, and Pentium D
as my Windows desktop. They're both quite fast.

I made the choice I describe based on a lot of research. I was going
to go both Intel, until I noticed that the Intel prices were dropping
fast. 30% price cut in 2 months. AMD didn't drop at all during the
same time.

There are plenty of reasons to choose one over the other. Generally
the AMD comes out on top. It is *not* 2X though. Anybody who claims
this is being highly selective about which benchmarks they consider.

One article is nothing.

There is a lot of hype these days. AMD is winning the elite market,
which means that they are able to continue to sell high. Intel, losing
this market, is cutting its prices to compete. And they do compete.
Quite well.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

Сообщение: Re: slow deletes on pgsql 7.4
Сообщение: Re: slow deletes on pgsql 7.4