Summer of Code idea

От Jesper Pedersen
Тема Summer of Code idea
Дата
Re: Summer of Code idea  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi.

I have been thinking about this for a while and now that Google Summer of Code
is coming I thought I would share this idea.

The GCC people have traded their bison/flex parser with a hand written
recursive-descent parser for a nice speed up.

So it would be interesting to see if PostgreSQL would benefit from the same
'switch'.

By the looks of it *) the job could be completed within the time frame and
maybe pgbench could serve as the testing framework for the performance
measurements.

I think it has an academic angle to it -- something fun for the student and
maybe a speed up for PostgreSQL :)

Just an idea...

Keep up the great work you are doing !

Best regards,Jesper