Re: Slow deletes in 8.1 when FKs are involved

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Slow deletes in 8.1 when FKs are involved
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 09:41:14PM -0500, Will Reese wrote:
> I'm preparing for an upgrade from PostgreSQL 7.4.5 to 8.1.3, and I
> noticed a potential performance issue.
>
> I have two servers, a dual proc Dell with raid 5 running PostgreSQL
> 7.4, and a quad proc Dell with a storage array running PostgreSQL
> 8.1. Both servers have identical postgresql.conf settings and were

BTW, you'll want to tweak some things between the two .conf files,
especially if the 8.1.3 server has more memory. Faster drive array means
you probably want to tweak random_page_cost down.

Also, 8.1.3 has a lot of new config settings compared to 7.4.x; it'd
probably be best to take the default 8.1 config and tweak it, rather
than bringing the 7.4 config over.