Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 04:44:50PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > It seems that we should write an API to allow a backup device to ask for
> > blocks from the database.
>
> I don't think we have the manpower or interest to develop and maintain
> our own backup tool --- or tools, actually, as you'd at least want a tar
> replacement and an rsync replacement.  Oracle might be able to afford
> to throw programmers at that sort of thing, but where are you going to
> get volunteers for tasks as mind-numbing as maintaining a PG-specific
> tar replacement?

Why would it have to replicate the functionality of tar or rsync? AFAICT
we'd only need the ability to produce something that could be consummed
by either a postgres backend or some other utility of our own creation.
I also think it'd be fine to forgo the rsync capabilities, at least in
an initial version.

Come to think of it, someone not too long ago was proposing an API to
allow a 'PITR slave' to subscribe to a master for WAL segments/changes;
it seems logical to me for that API to also provide the ability to send
relation data as well.