Corrupt data pages...

От Kevin Brown
Тема Corrupt data pages...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Apologies if my previous attempts to post this to the mailing list
have actually succeeded, but I've seen no evidence of that...

While doing some bugzilla testing, I ran into a data page corruption
issue.

The symptom was the usual "could not access status of transaction
<bignum>".  I tracked it down via the usual pg_filedump method and
found what appears to my untrained eye to be data tuples from a
different table residing in the (now corrupt) table in question.

First, the relevant environmental details:

System:   - ASUS A8V motherboard   - Athlon 64 3200   - 2G ECC memory (which is enabled.  The kernel will panic in the
  face of an uncorrectable ECC error).   - 2 250G Seagate ST3250823AS rev 3.03 in a mirrored configuration     via
Linuxsoftware RAID.

OS: Debian Linux x86_64, 'unstable' branch.  'uname -a' yields:   Linux kbrown-desktop 2.6.15-1-amd64-generic #2 Wed
Jan4 06:22:42   CET 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Filesystem: XFS with the default mount options.

PostgreSQL:   - version: 8.1.3.   - The package is postgresql-8.1 version 8.1.3-2.   - Autovacuum is enabled.  I'm
attachingmy postgresql.conf.

The context:

I'm performing testing in preparation for migrating from a different
bug tracking system to bugzilla.  Most of this testing revolves around
the migration tool, which reads directly from the other bug tracking
system's database and inserts into the bugzilla database.  The
bugzilla database is hosted on PostgreSQL and has a lot of additional
foreign keys that bugzilla does not have by default.  All of the
constraints are DEFERRABLE and INITIALLY DEFERRED.

A test run consists of dropping all the constraints and all the
tables, recreating all the tables and constraints, and importing a
base set of data.  The commands for doing all that were created via
pg_dump.  They are all executed in a single transaction and then
committed.

The migration run itself also executes in a single transaction and
involves a savepoint prior to every insertion group (the name of the
savepoint is based on the name of the operation, so the total number
of outstanding savepoints at any one time is perhaps 4 or 5).  Each
migration run ends up executing perhaps 300,000 inserts.

The meat of the problem:

After the last run, a later select from one of the tables yielded the
error.  I narrowed it down to a single table (series_data) and tracked
down the offending row via a binary search.  Here's the end results:

stagezilla=# select * from series_data;
ERROR:  could not access status of transaction 1685201011
DETAIL:  could not open file "pg_clog/0647": No such file or directory
stagezilla=# select * from series_data offset 9927 limit 1;series_id |     series_date     | series_value
-----------+---------------------+--------------       46 | 2006-01-06 00:00:00 |            0
(1 row)

stagezilla=# select * from series_data offset 9928 limit 1;
ERROR:  could not access status of transaction 1685201011
DETAIL:  could not open file "pg_clog/0647": No such file or directory
stagezilla=# select ctid from series_data offset 9927 limit 1;  ctid
----------(72,136)
(1 row)

stagezilla=# select oid from pg_database where datname = 'stagezilla'; oid
-------20518
(1 row)

stagezilla=# select oid from pg_class where relname = 'series_data'; oid
-------53294
(1 row)

stagezilla=# \d series_data               Table "public.series_data"   Column    |              Type              |
Modifiers

--------------+--------------------------------+-----------series_id    | integer                        | not
nullseries_date | timestamp(0) without time zone | not nullseries_value | integer                        | not null

Indexes:   "series_data_series_id_idx" UNIQUE, btree (series_id, series_date)
Foreign-key constraints:   "series_data_series_id_series_series_id_fk" FOREIGN KEY               (series_id) REFERENCES
series(series_id)ON UPDATE               CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE DEFERRABLE INITIALLY               DEFERRED

The only file in pg_clog is 0000.

After examining the output of pg_filedump, it became obvious this was
a corrupt page issue.  What bothers me is the way in which it's
corrupt.  The corrupt data looks supiciously like the data from
different table, or perhaps from an index.  In this case, from the
short_desc field of the bugs table, which has a datatype of 'text' (I
presume this means it's TOASTed?).  The text data in the corrupt page
exactly matches entries in that field of the bugs table.

So: because the hardware is relatively new and is using components
that are as reliable as I can make them given my somewhat limited
budget (ECC memory, mirrored SATA disks), I have to consider the
possibility that there's a bug here.

Note that on the amd64 architecture, gcc (or some versions thereof)
seems to have a code generation bug that can be eliminated by using
the -fno-strict-aliasing switch.  The version of gcc that seems to be
in current use is 4.0.3.  It's possible that this is causing problems,
but to be honest this is the first time I've ever seen this happen.

If you guys have any suggestions on what I might do to help track this
one down, please let me know.  I tarred up the entire 'stagezilla'
database after shutting down PostgreSQL so that I can do additional
examination of the datafiles if that proves useful.

Additionally, if you'd like to see the output of pg_filedump, I'll be
happy to post it here (or email it separately).  I hesitate to attach
it here because it's not clear the mailing list's spam filtering would
let it pass.

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com