Re: Control File

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Control File
Дата
Re: Control File  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 04:39:59AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think this happens frequently enough to add code for it.
> >
> > I think we saw it happen once to Joe Conway's DB.  But I see no
> > particular reason why Postgres needs a feature for this --- you can
> > stick a test into your database start script if you need it.
>
> Right, that is the only other time I remember it.

The difference now is that we have tablespaces, which makes this
scenario more likely. Previously I suspect common practice was to either
leave everything in $PGDATA, or at most to move pg_xlog somewhere else
and symlink it in, and I'm guessing that the databse will complain
loudly if it can't find pg_xlog. So I suspect this will become far more
common. As for adding checks to startup scripts, that's a PITA because
those scripts will have no idea of where tablespaces might be defined,
so you'd have to hard-code that info in.