Re: About pg_hba.conf

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: About pg_hba.conf
Дата
Re: About pg_hba.conf  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 06 April 2006 09:45, Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> This may be a dumb question but please bear a moment with me.
> About the TODO item “%Allow pg_hba.conf settings to be controlled via
> SQL“: If in the future we could configure the settings by SQL commands,
> assuming the settings are saved in an internal table, what would be the
> need for a pg_hba.conf file anymore. (except for the backward
> compatibility of cource)

I've generally been keeping the idea around as a foot-gun saver for when
people lock themselves out of the database via the sql commands; this could
give them a fall back mechanism to do authentication without something more
drastic.

I think some people might also prefer the pg_hba.conf method as more secure,
since it requires local access to modify, making remote exploits a wee bit
harder (admin tools that provide this functionality not-withstanding)

--
Robert Treat