Re: optimizing db for small table with tons of updates

От Kenji Morishige
Тема Re: optimizing db for small table with tons of updates
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I've been stumped as to how to call psql from the command line without it
prompting me for a password. Is there a enviornoment variable I can specify for
the password or something I can place in .pgsql?  I could write a perl wrapper
around it, but I've been wondering how I can call psql -c without it prompting
me. Is it possible?

-Kenji

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 02:39:10PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Kenji Morishige <kenjim@juniper.net> writes:
> > Various users run a tool that updates this table to determine if the particular
> > resource is available or not.  Within a course of a few days, this table can
> > be updated up to 200,000 times.  There are only about 3500 records in this
> > table, but the update and select queries against this table start to slow
> > down considerablly after a few days.  Ideally, this table doesn't even need
> > to be stored and written to the filesystem.  After I run a vacuum against this
> > table, the overall database performance seems to rise again.
>
> You should never have let such a table go that long without vacuuming.
>
> You might consider using autovac to take care of it for you.  If you
> don't want to use autovac, set up a cron job that will vacuum the table
> at least once per every few thousand updates.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Сообщение: Re: optimizing db for small table with tons of updates
Сообщение: Re: optimizing db for small table with tons of updates