Re: Creating serial ID on Windows.

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Creating serial ID on Windows.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 27 March 2006 19:32, Chris wrote:
> Ardian Xharra (Boxxo) wrote:
> > I'm having some troubles restoring a database on Windows and I found
> > this difference between PostgreSQL running on Linux and Windows.
> > When I create a table like this:
> > CREATE TABLE fee_payment1(id_fee_payment1 serial NOT NULL) WITH OIDS;
> > On Linux platform it will be:
> > CREATE TABLE fee_payment1 (  id_fee_payment1 serial NOT NULL) WITH OIDS;
> > And on Windows platform is:
> > CREATE TABLE fee_payment1
> > (  id_fee_payment1 int4 NOT NULL DEFAULT
> > nextval('fee_payment1_id_fee_payment1_seq'::regclass) ) WITH OIDS;
> > So, I would like to know if this would have an impact throught restoring
> > database.
>
> Postgres doesn't care (in this regard anyway) what platform you are
> running.
>
> There will be no difference between creating the table on windows to linux.

While what Chris has said is true (PostgreSQL doesn't care about your
underlying OS in most scenarios) if you use different syntax on each platform
as you have laid out here, you will introduce a difference between your
platforms. In the above scenario you will likely have differences in
dependency information when declaring a default nextval call on a sequence
compared to declaring a true sequence type.

--
Robert Treat