Re: More AIX 5.3 fun - out of memory ?

От Gavin Hamill
Тема Re: More AIX 5.3 fun - out of memory ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:22:11 -0500
Seneca Cunningham <scunning@ca.afilias.info> wrote:

> Are "0x8000000" and "0x4000000" typos in this message, or did you really
> request less than 256MB?  Those numbers are the number of bytes
> requested for the heap and memory is set aside in 256MB segments.

No, they're not typos - I think I must have had my brain out - oops :)

> If you want a 64-bit postgres, you will need to recompile.

Ahh you jewel, I passed in all the variables you specified and the recompile ran smoothly once I'd recompiled zlib and
movedthe .a library from /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib/ppc64 - the cube + earthdistance modules also compiled nicely.

pg_restore ran perfectly and I have much more faith in the running binary now everything is 64-bit native :)

> If you do switch to a 64-bit build, you will need to re-initdb.  I have
> heard that the statistics collector of a 64-bit build may have some
> problems, but it does pass "gmake check".

Yep, zapped + restored from a dumpfile.

Thank you so much for this info! I was really beginning to worry and wondered if I should just cut my losses and
installDebian on the pSeries box.

Cheers,
Gavin.