Re: Bitfields always atomic? Other way to store attributes?

От Janning Vygen
Тема Re: Bitfields always atomic? Other way to store attributes?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

yes, Thats what "ACID" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID) is all about.

> Or must
> I wrap things in
> explicit transactions?

every statement is in it's own transaction as long as you dont start one by
yourself.

> My application is to give attributes to an address table.  But maybe
> there is a better way?
>
> I want to mark each addresses with attributes, e.g. the person may be a
> "friend", "on my holiday card list", "owe me money", be an "employee", a
> "volunteer on the xxx project", or none of the above.
>
> I could assign each role a bit.
>
> Or, create a string field: "Friend,Money, Emp,VolXXX".
>
> Or, create related tables:
>         friend_pk,         address_id
>         cardlist_pk,       address_id
>         money_pk,        address_id,    amount_owed
>         volunteer_pk,    address_id
>
> Any thoughts?

create a table with attributes and a table with addresse "address" and then
link them via a third table address_addressattributes, something like this:

create table address ( add_id serial not null primary key, add_name text not null, add_street ... ...
);

create table addressattributes ( aa_id serial not null primary key, aa_name text not null unique
);

insert into address_attributes (aa_name) values ('Friend');
insert into address_attributes (aa_name) values ('Money');

create table address_addressattributes ( add_aa_id serial primary key, aa_id int4 not null references
address_attributes(aa_id), add_id int4 not null references address (add_id)
)

this is called a many-to-many relation.

kind regards,
janning