Re: A place to post pgbench results

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: A place to post pgbench results
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 01:07:02PM -0800, Just Someone wrote:
> After exchanging a few emails regarding pgbench in the list, I was
> thinking it'll be cool to have a place to post pgbench resulats from
> all over the place. Just so people can get an idea of what others are
> getting.
>
> If more people think it's a good idea, I'll be glad to host it as part
> of my blog. I'll create a section for that and will update it
> everytime results are submitted. If that picks up steam I'll create a
> small database and app to make it more automatic.
>
> Let me know if there's interest and I'll take care of it.

Actually, this already exists:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-benchmarks/

I think the real issue is that it makes no sense for posting of stuff
like this to be done via some manual process. It makes far more sense to
modify a benchmark suite to allow automagic uploading of results.

I also don't think pgbench makes sense to use for this, as it's
extremely simplistic, and I doubt you'd get buy-in from the community on
increasing it's complexity.

If people are serious about sharing benchmark data, I would recommend
setting the dbt[1] set of tests up to make this easier to do. Initially,
this could just mean uploading a tarball of results to some central
location, though eventually we should make dbt store results in a
database (imagine that!) with a good front-end on it. I know someone at
Sun has written a java-based database benchmark (it actually simulates a
full java enterprise environment, including database, appserver, and
thin-clients), there might be something useful to see in there.

BTW, another advantage to the DBT suites is that they're clones of TPC
tests, so they're something that more people are familiar with. They
also support other databases, making comparisons easier.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/osdldbt