Re: Domains as Subtypes

От elein
Тема Re: Domains as Subtypes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:16:13PM +0100, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> >>So is this the complete list?
> >
> >No, I don't think so.  IIRC we're also missing domain checks on
> >parameter values in Bind messages, and there might be some other
> >holes too.  See the archives.
> >
> >I made a suggestion about closing all these holes at once by
> >integrating domain checking into the I/O functions for domains,
> >but it's not clear how to do that without a big performance hit.
>
> Performance hit on just domain handling or overall? Personally, I'd
> rather see a hit on domain handling that we can work on later rather
> than the current state of things which seems to smack of MySQL (Get
> the feature 'checked off the list' first, then worry about doing it
> the right way).

The three issues I've raised regard the type behavior of domains with
operators and are completely independent of the input/output checks issues.

But I like the idea of centralizing the check in the input/output
functions.  It seems clearer and cleaner.  The procedural language
checks are harder, but may be easier to implement if there were
a centralized check domain functionality.

--elein