Re: Role incompatibilities

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Role incompatibilities
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Am Samstag, 25. März 2006 16:10 schrieb Tom Lane:
> No, the current implementation is a compromise between exact standards
> compatibility and backwards compatibility with our historical "groups"
> behavior.  I'm not really prepared to toss the latter overboard.

My two major sticking points here are the SET ROLE command and the noinherit
feature.  The SET ROLE command is not required by our historical group
behavior (because we didn't have it before) and does not do what the SQL
standard says it should do.  The noinherit feature is not required by the
historical group behavior (because groups are yes-inherit) and is not in the
SQL standard either.  So these two features were just mistakes as far as I
can tell.

I'm not passing judgement on whether a command like the currently implemented
SET ROLE command or a feature like the currently implemented noinherit
feature is useful.  They are just not in line with either the historical
group behavior or the SQL standard.

--
Peter Eisentraut