Re: WAL logging of SELECT ... INTO command

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: WAL logging of SELECT ... INTO command
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 08:39:02AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >
> > > Why would the content of the old_table be unreliable? If we've replayed
> > > logs up to the point of the CTAS then any data that would be visible to
> > > the CTAS should be fine, no?
> > >
> > > Though, the way Tom put it in one of his replies it sounds like WAL
> > > doesn't do any kind of statement logging, only data logging. If that's
> > > the case I'm not sure that the CTAS would actually get replayed. But I
> > > suspect I'm just misunderstanding...
> >
> > The CTAS doesn't get logged (nor replayed obviously).  What happens is
> > that the involved files are fsync'ed before transaction commit, AFAIR.
>
> Ahh, yes, that sounds right. Might be a nice gain to be had if there was
> some way to log the statement, but I suspect getting WAL to support that
> would be extremely non-trivial.

None at all, at least in the current incarnation, I think, because said
query execution is dependent on the contents of the FSM, which is itself
dependent on the timing of VACUUM and other stuff.  Such an action,
running with a different FSM content, can very trivially cause data
corruption.