Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Major donors (was: Where to put the new donations page?)

От elein
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Major donors (was: Where to put the new donations page?)
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 11:20:20AM -0800, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 March 2006 07:45, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:54:52AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > >     2) Do major (> $1000) financial sponsors get to be Sponsors at
> > > www.postgresql.org/about/Sponsors, or do we put them somewhere else?
> > > (we'll probably need to have this argument on Advocacy as well).
> >
> > Since I haven't seen this on -advocacy yet...
> >
> > The only argument I can think of for seperating large donors from
> > corporate sponsors is that some folks might have rather different levels
> > of interest about each one. Having a number of corporations officially
> > sponsoring the project arguably carries more weight than the same number
> > of individual believers, even if they do have deep pockets.
> >
> > It also might not make sense from a financial perspective. $1k is quite
> > a lot for most individuals, but it's a tiny sum for all but the smallest
> > companies.
> >
> > But of course, my opinions might be a bit biased here... :)
>
> Perhaps a link on the sponsors page that is "individual sponsors" and list
> those people that sponsor a significant amount.  Though saying that I'm not
> sure what qualifies as a significant amount, perhaps as low as 100.00.  And
> when i say Individual sponsosr I'm thinking small companies as well, Because
> as you say large sums are easy for large companies, but not so easy for small
> companies who are using PG as a core part of thier business.  Perhaps
> something simular to the way that PHK listed all those people that sponsored
> him to do fbsd development.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/donations.html
> http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/funding.html

As one of the small businesses that has contributed and plans to contribute
more (the postgres pin business :)  I would appreciate my small contribution
recognized.  It is actually a fair amount of work and in very small businesses
like mine both money and bandwidth is at a premium.

I don't like the separation of big'uns and little'uns.  We all do what we
can.

--elein

elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com
(510)655-2584(o)                             (510)543-6079(c)

          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

> --
> Darcy Buskermolen
> Wavefire Technologies Corp.