Re: Seperate command-line histories for seperate databases

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Seperate command-line histories for seperate databases
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Someone sent the following request to the Debian bug tracking system:
>
> """
> It'd be nice if the .psql_history file were per-database. This is
> because the commands executed on different databases are likely to be
> very different, so there is no good reason to lose history for db1 when
> working with db2, especially since the new history from db2 is probably
> not useful for db1.
>
> I'd suggest giving psql a directory, and naming history like this:
>
>         .psql/history/hostname/dbname
> """
>
> There is undoubtedly some merit to that, but I still have my doubts.  But at
> least we can discuss it.  Comments?

The psql manual pages for 8.1 now has:
      HISTFILE             The  file  name that will be used to store the his-             tory list. The default
value is  ~/.psql_history.             For example, putting

             \set HISTFILE ~/.psql_history- :DBNAME
             in ~/.psqlrc will cause psql to maintain a separate             history for each database.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com