Re: Restoring a Full Cluster on a Different Architecture (32 x 64)

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Restoring a Full Cluster on a Different Architecture (32 x 64)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:12:39PM -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
> >
> > Setting up Slony might be another option; you'd essentially be following
> > the procedure used to speed up a PostgreSQL upgrade that would normally
> > require a dump/reload.
>

> If you need to do this on a continuing basis, Slony is the best way to go.
> If it's a one-time shot, I'd just pipe pg_dump to a psql that's connected to
> PostgreSQL on your 32-bit system.

Well, it's not so much a matter of how often you have to do it, but what
kind of downtime you can tolerate. Setting up Slony just to move a
cluster from one machine to another is a good amount of extra work, so
if you don't have the uptime requirement it probably doesn't make sense.