Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Дата
Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...  (Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-patches
Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> Now, one may argue that it's incorrect/bad application-design to not use
> fully qualified names, however, there are cases (especially in VERY large
> database applications) where you do not want to use fully qualified naming.
> In PostgreSQL, the alternative to synonyms is to have a monstrous search
> path $user, public, HR, AP, AR, GL, FA, COMMON...  Not that we have Oracle
> Applications running on PostgreSQL, but 11i has something like 130+? schemas
> which would be pretty nasty and semi-unprofessional as a search_path rather
> than as something defined similar to synonyms.

Well, if you don't want to have a monstrous search path with 130+
schemas, then you'll have a monstrous amount of synonyms.  Given that
schemas are a way to separate the object namespace, it seems more
sensible to me to propagate the user of reasonable search paths than the
use of hundreds (thousands?) of synonyms.