Re: Benchmark-Comparison PostGreSQL vs. SQL Server

От Russ Brown
Тема Re: Benchmark-Comparison PostGreSQL vs. SQL Server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:36:33 +0100
"Robert Soeding" <robert.soeding@lisocon.de> wrote:

> Hi, this is my first question here, and also, it's somewhat delicate.
> So please be patient.
> My question is, CAN PostGreSQL perform in the SQL Server area when it
> comes to speed? In other words, are there explanations for the
> results I found (see below)?
> Thanks,
> Robert
>
> -----
> Background:
> 1. I read people were using PostGreSQL with TeraBytes of data
> sometimes, or thousands of users. These are things that could easily
> break SQL Server. - So I thought PostGreSQL might be similar fast to
> SQL Server. 2. I did some tests: Windows XP SP2
> Several GIGs free harddisk, ~400 MB free RAM
> Java 1.5 / JDBC
> PostGreSQL 8.0 beta (through Windows Installer), default
> configuration, default driver SQL Server 2000 SP3a, default
> configuration,

Here's your problem right here. You're never going to get a fair
comparison unless you tune the crap out of *both* contenders.
PostgreSQL's default configuration is extremely conservative to allow
it to be run on very limited resources.

--

Russ