Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?
Дата
Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> On 3/6/06, Nagita Karunaratne <nagita.k@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How big a VPS would I need to run a Postgres DB.
>>

>> One application will add about 500 orders per day
>> Another will  access this data to create and send about 500 emails per day
>> A third will access this data to create an after-sales survey for at
>> most 500 times per day.
>>
>> What type of VPS would I need to run a database with this type pf load?
>> Is 128 MB ram enough?
>> What percentage of a 2.8 GHz CPU would be required?
>
> My problem with running PG inside of a VPS was that the VPS used a
> virtual filesystem... basically, a single file that had been formatted
> and loop mounted so that it looked like a regular hard drive.
> Unfortunately, it was very slow. The difference between my application
> and yours is that mine well more than filled the 1GB of RAM that I had
> allocated. If your data will fit comfortably into RAM then you may be
> fine.

We host VPSs here (http://www.hub.org) and don't use the 'single file,
virtual file system' to put them into ... it must depend on where you
host?

----

От: "Nagita Karunaratne"
Сообщение: Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?