Re: constraints and sql92 information_schema compliance

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: constraints and sql92 information_schema compliance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Clark C. Evans wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:52:48PM -0800, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> | >   * Issue a warning when creating a constraint who's name is
> | >     not unique within its (the constraint's) schema.
> |
> | I don't have a problem with it (once, I argued for following the spec
> | constraint on this way back when), however I think this was proposed and
> | rejected before as excess noise.  You might want to look back through the
> | archives.
>
> I think the problem /w the noise was that default trigger names were
> not automatically prefixed with the table name.  I'd like to see this
> warning; perhaps in the next release, the ``dump`` module can rename
> constraints like $1 and $2 to include the table name?
>
> Given that both of these issues consist of first changing the dumper and
> making an optional warning (at first) and then turning it into an error
> way down the line, could they be considered part of the same ticket?

Well, I am worried about this change idea. That's potentially going to
break applications, ALTER ... DROP CONSTRAINT and SET CONSTRAINTS both use
the constraint names.  I think maybe something like adddepend in contrib
was for 7.2 or 7.3 might be better since that makes it something that's
not automatically done but relatively easily done.