Re: How to optimize a JOIN with BETWEEN?

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: How to optimize a JOIN with BETWEEN?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Use a gist index. Easiest way would be to define a box with mindate at
one corner and maxdate at the other corner, and then search for
point(obsdate,obsdate) that lie with in the box.

A more detailed explination is in the archives somewhere...

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 08:06:12PM -0800, andrew@pillette.com wrote:
> Here's a simplified version of the schema:
>
> Table A has an ID field, an observation date, and other stuff. There are about 20K IDs and 3K observations per ID.
TableB has a matching ID field, minimum and maximum dates, a code, and other stuff, about 0-50 records per ID. For a
givenID, the dates in B never overlap. On A, the PK is (id, obsdate). On B, the PK is (id, mindate). I want

> SELECT a.id, b.code, AVG(other stuff) FROM A LEFT JOIN B ON a.id=b.id AND a.obsdate BETWEEN b.mindate AND b.maxdate
GROUPBY 1,2;

> Is there a way to smarten the query to take advantage of the fact at most one record of B matches A? Also, I have a
choicebetween using a LEFT JOIN or inserting dummy records into B to fill in the gaps in the covered dates, which would
makeexactly one matching record. Would this make a difference?

От: "Ibrahim Tekin"
Сообщение: Re: LIKE query on indexes
От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Help with nested loop left join performance