Re: new feature: LDAP database name resolution

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: new feature: LDAP database name resolution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 02:36:42PM +0100, Albe Laurenz wrote:
> $ psql -h host -p port -d database .....
> you'd use something like
> $ psql -N dbalias ...
> and the client would perform a lookup on the LDAP server and
> retrieve host name, port and database name.

I suggest you look at pgpool, which sort of does this for you
(possibly automatically).

> I am aware that adding such a feature requires changes at many
> levels: libpq, psql, libecpg, ecpg, a --with-ldap flag in configure
> and probably some more.

I doubt it.  You need a proxy; you don't need this built into the
code.  Think of the way UNIX does things: small tools that each do
one job, piped together.  A connection dispatcher should be pretty
cheap, and those who have reported success with pgpool have remarked
on how lightweight it is.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.    --H.W. Fowler