Re: pg_service.conf

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: pg_service.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 04:56:11PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Mark Woodward wrote:
> > Don't get me wrong, DNS, as it is designed, is PERFECT for the
> > distributed nature of the internet, but replication of fairly static
> > data under the control of a central authority (the admin) is better.
>
> What about this zeroconf/bonjour stuff?  I'm not familiar with it, but
> it sounds like it could tie into this discussion.

I think the major issue is that most such systems (like RFC2782) deal
only with finding the hostname:port of the service and don't deal with
usernames/passwords/dbname. What we want is a system that not only
finds the service, but tells you enough to connect. You can't connect
to a postgres server without a dbname and these discovery protocols
don't generally provide that.

Have a nice day,