Re: pg_service.conf

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: pg_service.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 09:58:01AM -0500, Douglas McNaught wrote:

> > A server-side (i.e. centrally managed) name server seems like an
> > improvement over the client-side solutions described, IMHO, but I'd
> > leave it to others to describe how that might work. (e.g. DNS is a
> > better solution than multiple distributed /etc/hosts files).
>
> Funnily enough, you could *use* DNS for this--you could define a
> custom RR type containing hostname, port, database etc and have
> entries in DNS for each "service" (e.g. 'production-db.mycorp.com').
> I think HESIOD used this mechanism.

Well, there exist such things as SRV records already for describing how
to find services. In theory you could create an entry like:

_postgres._tcp.example.com  SRV  10 5 5432 db1.example.com

So that if you typed "psql example.com" it would lookup the server and
port number. You may be able to put a dbname after that, not sure. And
you can always put whatever you like into a TXT record.

In any case, someone still needs to write the code for it.

Have a nice day,