Re: optimizer questions

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: optimizer questions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:35:12AM -0600, hector Corrada Bravo wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am working with the Postgres optimizer for the first time, so bear with me...
>
> I want to extend the optimizer to deal with aggregate queries a bit
> better. The idea is from an old paper by Chaudhuri and Shim in VLDB
> 94. The gist of it is that when computing aggregates over the result
> of joining multiple tables, under some conditions the aggregate can be
> pushed into the join tree to reduce the size of join operands making
> resulting plans cheaper.
>
> So here is my problem, due to the path/plan separation of the Postgres
> optimizer, this is not trivial (joins are decided in path, aggregates
> decided in plan). As it stands, aggregate nodes can only appear as the
> top node of subqueries.

Well, the basic approach in the beginning should probably be to change
the planner to modify the plan so you get a new plan with the
aggregation in the right place.

> Before I start trying this (creating aggregate paths seems the
> reasonable thing to do) I would like your counsel.
>
> 1) Regardless of the optimization problem, is the executor able to
> execute aggregate nodes within join trees (that is, not as the result
> of subqueries)?

An Aggregate is just a node type that can be stacked above any other
node. Ofcourse, it requires the input rows to be in the appropriate
order but other than that.

> 2) Has anyone tried something like this before?

No idea.

> 3) For debugging purposes: Has anyone figured out a way to feed
> hand-crafted plans to the executor? Setting up some of the data
> structures (PlannerInfo, target lists) etc. does not look trivial. By
> this I mean, beyond giving explicit join clauses in queries.

Nope sorry.

> 4) Any other suggestions?

Well, I honestly have no idea what kind of transformations you have in
mind so not really. However, you should probably realise that in
PostgreSQL aggregates are not special and users can make their own.
Whatever you think of needs to take that into account.

Have a ncie day,