Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?

От mark@mark.mielke.cc
Тема Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:00:34AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Mark Woodward wrote:
> >I'm not so sure you need to be paranoid about it. The scenario is, at
> >startup or HUP, names are looked up and stored as IP addresses. Then hba
> >works as it is supposed too.
> If you do it like that you destroy the only real use case I can see for
> this that has much value, namely to handle cases where the address can
> change dynamically.

*nod*

Addresses change, and for a stable PostgreSQL server, this would hopefully
mean that PostgreSQL has uptime across these changes. :-)

> We have address ranges now; are you proposing to have those IN ADDITION
> to hostname parameters (as opposed to being an alternative)?

I like in addition. For example, at work, saying "a.blah.com" and "47.*"
would give me an inch more of comfort, as the organization is large, and
there are numerous channels to having the name changed - but at least if
I know that the name is within 47.*, I know that it isn't somebody in
another partner company connecting directly from their network.

Not bullet proof, but slightly more difficult to manipulate.

> We can over-egg this pudding massively. I suggest we start with a simple
> implementation and see what needs it leaves unfilled. I would vote for
> allowing a hostname (or list of hostnames?) to replace the address/mask
> params, and that at connect time we do a forward lookup trying for a
> match with the connecting address. If we get a match then that's the hba
> line that applies.

Yes.

> Frankly, any auth mechanism based on the name or address of the client
> is insecure. If you have people connecting across possibly insecure
> networks you should use SSL with client certificates signed by your own
> CA, or a similar approach.

Yes.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/

От: "Magnus Naeslund(f)"
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql crash (signal 11). keywords: distinct, subselect,
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?