Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.6 crash

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.6 crash
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:57:12AM -0500, Mark Woodward wrote:
> > In most practical situations, I think
> > exceeding work_mem is really the best solution, as long as it's not
> > by more than 10x or 100x.  It's when the estimate is off by many
> > orders of magnitude that you've got a problem.  Running out of memory
> > is not necessarily the worst response ... as long as the system doesn't
> > kill the process in response to that.
>
> I don't agree with you here. Many PostgreSQL installations use PostgreSQL
> as part of a larger whole. Adjusting "work_mem" should give the admin some
> control over the memory footprint of the system. It is documented as the
> limit a specific function path will use before spilling to disk.

And even when PostgreSQL has the server all to itself, having a hashagg
spill to disk is *way* better than pushing the machine into a swap
storm. At least if you spill the hashagg you only have one backend
running at a snail's pace; a swap storm means next to nothing gets done.

> This was/is an example of where the behavior of PostgreSQL is clearly
> unacceptable. OK, yes, this problem goes away with an ANALYZE, but it
> isn't clear how anyone could have known this, and unexpected behavior is
> bad in any product.

Care to submit a documentation patch before releases are bundled (I
think on Sunday?) At least then people would be aware that work_mem is
just a suggestion to hash_aggs. I'd do a patch myself but I doubt I'll
have time before the release. :(