Re: Basic Database Performance

От James Dey
Тема Re: Basic Database Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Sorry about that

James Dey

tel    +27 11 704-1945
cell    +27 82 785-5102
fax    +27 11 388-8907
mail    james@mygus.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com]
Sent: 10 February 2006 11:50 AM
To: James Dey
Cc: 'Postgresql Performance'
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Basic Database Performance

Don't forget to cc: the list.

James Dey wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Firstly, thanks a million for the reply.
>
> To answer your questions:
> 1. Are you limited by CPU, memory or disk i/o?
> I am not limited, but would like to get the most out of the config I have
in
> order to be able to know what I'll get, when I scale up.

But you said: "During the day, the system is incredibly slow to a point
where it is unusable". So presumably one or more of cpu,memory or disk
i/o is the problem.

> 2. Are you happy your config settings are good?   How do you know?
> I'm not, and would appreciate any help with these.

If you have a look here, there is an introduction for 7.4
  http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php
For 8.x you might find the following more useful.
  http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList

> 3. Are there particular queries that are causing the problem, or lock
> contention?
> Not that I can see

What is the balance between activity on Apache/PHP/PostgreSQL?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd