Re: partitioning and locking problems

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: partitioning and locking problems
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:09:02PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > Using a separate lock table is what we've decided to do in this
> > particular case to serialize #1 and #3.  Inserters don't take this lock
> > and as such will not be stalled.
>
> Would it not be simpler to have the Inserters change from one table to
> another either upon command, on a fixed timing cycle or even better
> based upon one of the inserted values (Logdate?) (or all 3?). (Requires
> changes in the application layer: 3GL or db functions).

Unfortunately, AFAIK rule changes would suffer from the exact same
problem, which will be a serious issue for table partitioning. If you
try and add a new partition while a long report is running you'll end up
blocking everything.

ALso, IIRC the OP was trying *not* to have the locking system impose
scheduling. I believe the intention is that either 1 not block 3 or 3
not block 4.

I'm honestly somewhat surprised someone hasn't run into this problem
with partitioning yet; or maybe everyone who needs to do long
transactions just shoves those off to slony slaves...