Re: logging settings

От Joachim Wieland
Тема Re: logging settings
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:59:06PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:43:47PM +0100, Joachim Wieland wrote:
> > I propose to change it on the grounds that:

> >  - other unix daemons reset their values to defaults before reading
> >    conffiles

> But the biggest issue is that not all values can be changed by
> reloading the config files. So for these variables, no amount of
> "making it more obvious" will change the fact that you're not running
> with the values it says in the config file.

Sure, but theres another item on the TODO list...

errmmm, actually it's done:

      o -Issue a warning if a change-on-restart-only postgresql.conf value
        is modified  and the server config files are reloaded

I just notice that Peter has done this yesterday.

> >  - lots of people find it unintuitive

> But resetting to defaults on reload doesn't solve the problem due to
> the above issue. Also, once you know it's not that odd.

No, but setting back to defaults commented variables and issuing a note
for those where it is not possible to change the actual value seems to be a
clean solution.

> >  - after restarting pgsql you can never be sure that it runs with
> >    the same configuration as before even with an unchanged postgresql.conf

> >    The mtime of postgresql.conf then makes you think that it has
> >    been running fine with these options for the last 3 months so you don't
> >    even take a look at the conf file but look for the problem elsewhere...

> I'm sure you could find lots of people to go for a change, it's just
> the mechanism that people don't agree on. What do you think should
> happen to unchangable config values? You can always see what the
> current values are using SHOW ALL.

Yes but I doubt that people like the idea that they have to cross-check SHOW
ALL output with postgresql.conf after reload just to make sure that the
database will come up the next time as it should.

Joachim

--
Joachim Wieland                                              joe@mcknight.de
C/ Usandizaga 12 1°B                                           ICQ: 37225940