Re: Create table and update it within one function ?

От A. Kretschmer
Тема Re: Create table and update it within one function ?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
am  03.02.2006, um 12:58:19 +0100 mailte Arnaud Lesauvage folgendes:
> Hi list !
>
> I read in the manual that "Functions and trigger procedures are always
> executed within a transaction established by an outer query".
> Should I understand, that there is no way to make complex procedures that
> would create tables AND fill them with data ?
>
> I have a function that is defined as :
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION my_function() RETURNS VOID AS $$
>     SELECT create_graph_tables('graph', 'int8');
>     UPDATE graph_edges SET cost=1;
> $$ LANGUAGE SQL;
>

> The create_graph_tables() function creates a table "graph_edges", but when
> I run this 'CREATE FUNCTION' statement, I have an error 'relation
> "graph_edges" does not exist".

You should better use 'perform' instead 'select' in this function,
and execute 'UPDATE graph_e ...';

I have a simple example:

create or replace function foo (varchar) returns int as $$
begin
        execute 'create table ' || $1 || '(id int, cost int);';
        return 1;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

create or replace function foo2 () returns void as $$
begin
        perform foo('graph');
        execute 'insert into graph values (1,10);';
        execute 'UPDATE graph SET cost=1;';
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

test=# \d graph;
Did not find any relation named "graph".
test=# select foo2();
 foo2
------

(1 row)

test=# select * from graph ;
 id | cost
  1 |    1
(1 row)

HTH, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
Heynitz:  035242/47215,      D1: 0160/7141639