Re: BUG #2231: Incorrect Order By

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: BUG #2231: Incorrect Order By
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Garoso, Fernando wrote:
>

> > The following bug has been logged online:
> >
> > Bug reference:      2231
> > Logged by:          Garoso, Fernando
> > Email address:      fgaroso@ig.com.br
> > PostgreSQL version: 8.x
> > Operating system:   GNU Linux Debian
> > Details:
> >
> > create table tmp ( name char(30) );
> > create index tmp_idx on tmp (name);
> > insert into tmp values ( 'SUEKO' );
> > insert into tmp values ( 'SUE E' );
> > insert into tmp values ( 'SUE T' );
> >
> > select * from tmp order by name;
> >

> > ### Result ###
> >
> > teste=# select * from tmp order by name desc;
> >               name
> > --------------------------------
> >  SUE T
> >  SUEKO
> >  SUE E
> > (3 registros)
>
> What locale are you using?  The above looks correct to my eye for en_US
> locale on most linux systems which use dictionary sorting.

Hit send accidentally. :( Dictionary sorting rules generally skip spaces
in first pass comparisons. If you're expecting byte order sorting, you'll
want "C" locale. We currently use the system locales for sorting, so if
you want something which say uses non-byte order sorting but also doesn't
skip spaces, you'd need such a locale definition for the system.