Accessing an old database from a new OS installation.

От Matthew Henderson
Тема Accessing an old database from a new OS installation.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dear all,

I am a novice user, so any help with the following problem
would be greatly appreciated.

I had Suse 9.1 installed on one hard disk in my machine
(/dev/hda). On this machine Postgresql 7.4 was installed
and I had one database which, I believe, was installed
in the default location

 This hard disk no longer boots and so I have
installed Suse 10.0 on another hard disk in the same
machine (/dev/hdb). This OS has Postgresql 8.1 installed
and I would like to be able to connect to the database on
the old hard disk (/dev/hda) so that I can dump it to
make a backup and eventually transfer it to the new hard disk.

How should I go about doing this? Are there any problems
I should be aware of in moving from version 7.4 to 8.1?

thanks,
Matthew Henderson