Re: Weird pg_dumpall bug?

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Weird pg_dumpall bug?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:42:17AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 10:05 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> It's possible to support this: the group
> >> and the user will now really be the same entity, ie a role that has both
> >> its own login privileges and members.
>
> > Assuming you actually want to unify the two objects. That might well be
> > the common case, but will it always be true?
>
> As compared to what?  I didn't like the notion of auto-renaming one of
> the roles, if that's what you're suggesting.  That seems well outside
> pg_dump's charter.

If you want something renamed, you can handle that case by just renaming
it before you do the dump, but it would be nice if pg_dump would raise a
nice big warning when this condition exists so you're aware of it. Or
maybe even refuse to run unless you supply some command line option to
over-ride.

I don't think we should morph the two together by default either,
because that's very possibly not what the user originally intended.