Re: Backup and Restore mechanism in Postgres

От Brian A. Seklecki
Тема Re: Backup and Restore mechanism in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

> At 10:00 AM 9/20/2005 -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2005, at 9:45 AM, vinita bansal wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 4 proc. AMD Opteron machine with 32 GB RAM and ~400GB HDD

Just curious what ever came of this?

Also, were you reading the DB and writing the dump file from the same file
system?  Different partitions on the same disk?  The 400GB is presumably a
RAID1+0 or RAID5?

If that's the case then, I would highly recommend having a separate
physical drive/file system for writing backups to (from which your actual
backup software should be pointed).  Maybe even put it on a different
channel on the same controller, or a different controller alltogether..

Obviously, the biggest thing missing from a lot of PostgreSQL
documentation is practicle information for large deployments, including
strategy and system design requirements.  All in due-time I suppose.

~BAS

> Any reason why Postgresql would only get 2.8MB/sec for dumps or slower?
>
> Regards,
> Link.

>      choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>      match

l8*
     -lava

x.25 - minix - bitnet - plan9 - 110 bps - ASR 33 - base8