Re: Transact SQL compatibility layer

От Shelby Cain
Тема Re: Transact SQL compatibility layer
Дата
Список pgsql-general

--- James Harper <james.harper@bendigoit.com.au> wrote:

> Is there such a thing as a translator/proxy that can pretend to be a
> Microsoft SQL server and proxy all the commands to a PostgreSQL
> server,
> and the results back again? Obviously the purpose of it would be to
> allow an application written for MSSQL Server to work with PostgreSQL
> without modification.
>
> If not, has such a thing been considered? What would be the obstacles
> developing such a proxy?

Assuming your goal is compatibility to a level such that no changes are
required in the client application, I'd say it'd be a tremendous amount
of work.  At the very least you'd have to reverse-engineer mssql
server's communication protocol and write a proxy that could understand
and translate that to something compatible with postgresql.  Then you'd
have to deal with the difference between the two server sql dialects.

All in all, you'd be much better off designing your application such
that it explicitly supports multiple databases to begin with.

Regards,

Shelby Cain