Re: FW: Surrogate keys (Was: enums)

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: FW: Surrogate keys (Was: enums)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dann,

> The primary key should be immutable, meaning that its value should not be
> changed during the course of normal operations of the database.

Why?   I don't find this statement to be self-evident.   Why would we have ON
UPDATE CASCADE if keys didn't change sometimes?

> At any rate, the use of natural keys is a mistake made by people who have
> never had to deal with very large database systems.

Oh, I guess I'm dumb then.  The biggest database system I ever had to deal
with was merely 5 TB ...

Anyway, my opinion on this, in detail, will be on the ITToolBox blog.  You can
argue with me there.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions