От: Alvaro Herrera
Тема: Re: Suspending SELECTs
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Suspending SELECTs  (Alessandro Baretta, )
 Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Alvaro Herrera <-ip.org>, )
   Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Suspending SELECTs  ("Craig A. James", )
   Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Alessandro Baretta, )
    Re: Suspending SELECTs  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
    Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Mark Lewis, )
    Re: Suspending SELECTs  ("Craig A. James", )
  Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Alessandro Baretta, )
   Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Michael Stone, )
   Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Suspending SELECTs  (, )
    Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Frank Wiles, )
    Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Mark Kirkwood, )
     Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Tom Lane, )
      Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Mark Kirkwood, )
    Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Alessandro Baretta, )
     Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Tino Wildenhain, )
     Re: Suspending SELECTs  (, )
      Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Alessandro Baretta, )
       Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Harry Jackson, )
        Re: Suspending SELECTs  (, )
   Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Josh Berkus, )
     Re: Suspending SELECTs  (Alessandro Baretta, )
      Re: Suspending SELECTs  (August Zajonc, )

Tom Lane wrote:
> Alessandro Baretta <> writes:
> > I am aware that what I am dreaming of is already available through
> > cursors, but in a web application, cursors are bad boys, and should be
> > avoided. What I would like to be able to do is to plan a query and run
> > the plan to retreive a limited number of rows as well as the
> > executor's state. This way, the burden of maintaining the cursor "on
> > hold", between activations of the web resource which uses it, is
> > transferred from the DBMS to the web application server,
>
> This is a pipe dream, I'm afraid, as the state of a cursor does not
> consist exclusively of bits that can be sent somewhere else and then
> retrieved.

I wonder if we could have a way to "suspend" a transaction and restart
it later in another backend.  I think we could do something like this
using the 2PC machinery.

Not that I'm up for coding it; just an idea that crossed my mind.

--
Alvaro Herrera                           Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org
Oh, oh, las chicas galacianas, lo harán por las perlas,

Сообщение: Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(
Сообщение: Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(