Re: Suspending SELECTs

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Suspending SELECTs
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Alessandro Baretta <a.baretta@barettadeit.com> writes:
> > I am aware that what I am dreaming of is already available through
> > cursors, but in a web application, cursors are bad boys, and should be
> > avoided. What I would like to be able to do is to plan a query and run
> > the plan to retreive a limited number of rows as well as the
> > executor's state. This way, the burden of maintaining the cursor "on
> > hold", between activations of the web resource which uses it, is
> > transferred from the DBMS to the web application server,
>
> This is a pipe dream, I'm afraid, as the state of a cursor does not
> consist exclusively of bits that can be sent somewhere else and then
> retrieved.

I wonder if we could have a way to "suspend" a transaction and restart
it later in another backend.  I think we could do something like this
using the 2PC machinery.

Not that I'm up for coding it; just an idea that crossed my mind.

--
Alvaro Herrera                           Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org
Oh, oh, las chicas galacianas, lo harán por las perlas,