Re: Plans for 8.2?

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Plans for 8.2?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:39:06PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I would presume that at least packaged with PG (in the contrib section)
> would be a good start. A prominent, east to find link to Slony on

But in Slony's case, that'd be a regression, not an improvement.  It
is designed, on purpose, as a bolt-on.  That's a feature, not a bug.
It allows you to do version upgrades with just a few minutes'
switchover time, to begin with, which is something that we don't
otherwise have.

If we want to fix the "in the tarball, or it's not real", we need to
continue to make packages easy to install.  Nobody thinks that the
DBI is some sort of stupid tacky not-ready tool just because every
installation of Perl doesn't have it automatically.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
        --Alexander Hamilton