Re: Concept about stored procedures

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Concept about stored procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Using stored procedures as an API to the database is a perfectly
acceptable way of doing things, and provides some nice benefits:

You can lock out all other access to tables. This limits what can be
done if the application gets compromised.

It means you don't have to worry about people embedding SQL into the
bowels of the application.

It provides a well-defined API into the database.

As an added bonus, in 8.1 there is syntax checking done on
functions when they are created. This makes catching bugs much easier...
previously you'd have to actually run the code to see if there were any
syntax errors. Now, if you use functions, syntax errors will be found as
soon as you load the code into the database. This feature alone makes
using stored procs as an API worth it.