Re: help with rules for system table

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: help with rules for system table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 06:35:06PM -0800, rlhsiao@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have to archieve functions like this:
>   When users define a new index, I will do something (for instance,
> increase an counter in my table or do some other statistics). However,
> I defined rule for insert on pg_class and when the entry is actually an
> index, I do my thing.  Obviously my rule is never executed. If I create
> a similar rule for a table I defined, it works.  Does this mean that I
> can't create rules for system tables?  If not, does anyone know how to
> do this?

Many system operations completely bypass the 'normal' access methods for
touching the system tables, so generally you can't do things like
triggers or rules.

Depending on what you need to do there may be other ways to accomplish
it, though. For example, it's trivial to get a count of indexes on a
table...