Re: Improving N-Distinct estimation by ANALYZE

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Improving N-Distinct estimation by ANALYZE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg,

> We *currently* use a block based sampling algorithm that addresses this
> issue by taking care to select rows within the selected blocks in an
> unbiased way. You were proposing reading *all* the records from the
> selected blocks, which throws away that feature.

The block-based algorithms have specific math to cope with this.   Stuff
which is better grounded in statistical analysis than our code.   Please
read the papers before you judge the solution.

> Worse, my recollection from the paper I mentioned earlier was that
> sampling small percentages like 3-5% didn't get you an acceptable
> accuracy. Before you got anything reliable you found you were sampling
> very large percentages of the table. And note that if you have to sample
> anything over 10-20% you may as well just read the whole table. Random
> access reads are that much slower.

Right, which is why researchers are currently looking for something better.
The Brutlag & Richardson claims to be able to produce estimates which are
within +/- 3x 90% of the time using a 5% sample, which is far better than
our current accuracy.  Nobody claims to be able to estimate based on <
0.1% of the table, which is what Postgres tries to do for large tables.

5% based on block-based sampling is reasonable; that means a straight 5% of
the on-disk size of the table, so 5gb for a 100gb table.  With random-row
sampling, that would require as much as 25% of the table, making it easier
to just scan the whole thing.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus