Re: can't connect to postgresql via phppgadmin and pgaccess

От First Last
Тема Re: can't connect to postgresql via phppgadmin and pgaccess
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
i'm sorry about the previous format. i didn't know my emails are being sent in html format until you pointed it out.
nowthat you mentioned it i saw an option where i could switch to plain text format (apparently the default is html
format).anyway, i'm resending my previous message in case you had trouble reading it.
first last is obviously not my real name. i've tried correcting the entry in my email's profile several times already
butit keeps on defaulting to the bogus name i entered during the registration process.

i'm trying to use phppgadmin to connect to postgresql and
except for the 'www-data' account, no other account could
log on to the database. i tried tweaking all the config
files (pg_hba.conf, postgresql.conf, etc) but to no avail.
it always gives me the 'FATAL: IDENT Authentication failed
for user [username]'.

would somebody know what app postgresql uses for the
authentication process? earlier on, i removed several
services which include portmapper, inetd, auth/identd,
etc., to limit services and subsequently tighten security.
perhaps i removed the app that postgre uses? but if that's
the case, i wonder how www-data is able to make a
connection, and i also doubt if i could remove a package
without aptitude warning me of a broken dependency (for
postgresql). anyway, i tried to reinstall and run
portmapper and auth/identd again but still i had no luck.

with psql, i have no problem accessing the database. it's
only with the gui-based pgaccess and phppgadmin that i am
having problem. what baffles me is that 'www-data' can
make a connection via phppgadmin.

btw, i'm running phppgadmin 3.5.2, postgresql 7.4 on
debian sarge 3.1, if that would help.